| Intro | Personal Notes | Resources |


 Rawhide (Ghost Town)

NV Icon Rawhide, Nevada Old mining operations in the ghost town of Rawhide, Nevada.

Rawhide was one of the most flamboyant mining camps in Nevada. The rise and fall of the boom days at Rawhide occurred within a period of less than two years, with the rush begriming in 1907. The population grew quickly to a high of about 7,000. In 1920 there were only 50 individuals still living at the town site, and by 1966 everyone was gone and the town was completely abandoned. From 1908 to 1943 the mines in the district produced $1,610,718 in gold, silver, lead, and copper.

Rawhide was a fast growing gold camp in 1906 and soon had over 40 saloons, 30 hotels, 28 restaurants, 9 bakeries, 10 barbershops, 13 doctors, 4 hospitals, 3 banks, 9 lumberyards, and 125 brokerage offices.


Directions

Rawhide is in the northern part of Mineral County, Nevada, about 4 miles south of the Churchill County line and about 10 miles west of the most westerly corner of Nye County, in Section 5, Township 13 North, Range 32 East.

Weather

Click for Schurz, Nevada Forecast

Regulations and Precautions

Archaeological Resources Protection Act Hotline: 800-227-7286.

Rawhide, Nevada.

Site design by Frank Stehno
All photographs by Frank Stehno unless otherwise indicated.
Copyright © 2017 by Frank and Anne Stehno. All rights reserved.
Site established in 2000.