This page presents links to pages containing information on various wilderness emergencies that might occur while hiking or camping in canyon country.
Caution: Medical and other health related information found on this page is intended as basic information and should be viewed as a starting point for further investigation by the visitor. Please do further research and speak to a licensed physician prior to using any of this medical advice.
Remain In One Place If You Become Lost or Separated
Mishaps are rare, but they do happen.
- Should one occur, remain calm.
- In case of an accident, someone should stay with the injured person.
- Notify the nearest state, local, or federal law enforcement office for aid.
- If you become lost, stay where you are and keep warm.
- If a group member becomes lost, remember a description of how the person was dressed, and the time and location where the person was last seen.
- American Red Cross Standard First Aid and Personal Safety
- Camping and Wilderness Survival: The Ultimate Outdoors Book
- Forgey's Wilderness Medicine
- Scout Handbook
- The New Complete Walker
- Basic Survival Medicine: Medical Emergencies
- Emergency First Aid Kit and Supplies Resource
- Emergencies When Hiking Alone
- Medical Encyclopedia
Over 250,000 words and 150 images chronicling diseases, medical conditions, and common health problems.
- Outdoor Action Guide to Outdoor Safety Management
- Outdoor Safety 101
- Psychology of Survival
- Survive Outdoors
- Web MD
- Wilderness Medicine Institute
More Outside Links