This page presents links to pages containing information on various wilderness emergencies that might occur while hiking or camping in canyon country.
Caution: Medical and other health related information found on this page is intended as basic information and should be viewed as a starting point for further investigation by the visitor. Please do further research and speak to a licensed physician prior to using any of this medical advice.
Remain In One Place If You Become Lost or Separated
Mishaps are rare, but they do happen.
- Should one occur, remain calm.
- In case of an accident, someone should stay with the injured person.
- Notify the nearest state, local, or federal law enforcement office for aid.
- If you become lost, stay where you are and keep warm.
- If a group member becomes lost, remember a description of how the person was dressed, and the time and location where the person was last seen.
- American Red Cross Standard First Aid and Personal Safety
- Camping and Wilderness Survival: The Ultimate Outdoors Book
- Forgey's Wilderness Medicine
- Scout Handbook
- The New Complete Walker
Basic Survival Medicine: Medical Emergencies
Medical problems and emergencies you may face.
Outdoor Action Guide to Outdoor Safety Management
From a workshop based on pioneering work in outdoor safety management.
Providing information on confronting emergencies and survival in the outdoors.
Provides valuable health information, tools for managing your health, and support to those who seek information.
More Outside Links