This page provides an alphabetical listing of some of the basic hiking, backpacking, mountaineering, camping, and archaeological terms that one might encounter while preparing for an adventure in canyon country. The definitions on these pages are meant only as a beginning, a point from which to get familiar as quickly as possible with the jargon of the trail. Please do not consider these explanations as definitive nor comprehensive. There are outside resources listed and linked for more in-depth definitions.
- 60 Hikes Within 60 Miles: Salt Lake City
- Arizona Wildlife Mammals
- Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Birds
- Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Insects and Spiders
- Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Reptiles and Amphibians
- Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Rocks and Minerals
- Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Wildflowers
- Audubon Society Nature Guides: Deserts
- Birds of North America: Western Region
- Collector's Guide to Rock, Mineral, and Fossil Localities of Utah
- Dictionary of Geological Terms
- Dictionary of Mining, Mineral, and Related Terms
- Geologic Tours in the Las Vegas Area
- Hiking Grand Staircase-Escalante and the Glen Canyon Region
- Hiking Ruins Seldom Seen
- Hiking the Wasatch: A Hiking and Natural History Guide to the Central Wasatch
- Naturalist's Guide to Canyon Country
- Rock Art Along the Way
- Rock Art Savvy
- Utah Byways
- Utah's Off-Highway Vehicle Program
- Wild Edible Plants of Western North America
Boy Scout Camping Terminology (UK)
A directory of useful information.
Desert Geological Terms
Type "define:<unknown term >"; press Enter.
An online dictionary of recreational vehicle terms.